Sunday, 29 September 2013

Forest Gump

ohhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyy!!!!!! I have just had the most unexpected "Forest Gump" moment. You wake up, get dressed, go to work, in my case get very dirty, you think about how you are to pay upcoming bills....and then you get to meet royalty (Monagascan). Something that I was so unprepared for. I have no clue to all the rubbish I must have just said in the few minutes I had to talk to them this evening. I live in a town that comprises 240 souls, I mean for goodness sake's! Who comes here????
Up until 24 hours ago I thought the locals were taking me, a newcomer, for a ride. Then yesterday, on confirmation that it really was going to happen, I offered the town mayor a lime painting (this cherub) as a small gift for their visit. I did not expect to consign the piece personally...I can't remember what the hell I said.......there were more bodyguards and photographers than locals.
A small orchestra then played in their honor...and the context, the music, the decorated church ceiling, the summer heat, the perfumes and the food served to remind me of what it was that attracted me to Italy to begin with... oh land of senses: it's Savior and condemner.