Saturday, 16 March 2013

So, while working on my latest fragment I thought to demonstrate through a series of photos one of the difficulties of working with lime and perhaps unique to this technique. You will see that my work seems to be covered in dark marks. In fact, the working surface becomes immediately saturated with the quantity of water in the lime paste, so the dark smudges are actually where I'm trying to make an improvement on my picture! Because the "darkening" of the surface isn't limited to where you brush stroke has past, you find yourself working "blind": without knowing what your results will be. Overmore there is no time to spread your paint because it gets immediately absorbed by the underlying layer of lime paint. Much of your work is painted by learnt gesture, and that comes from a thousand mistakes. Tough love!