Friday, 22 March 2013


Hello Mary,
Let me begin by saying a big thank-you for your comment! You have such an impressive profile, I can tell you are just as passionate about the how's and the why's of things as I am!
Lime painting is a such a rarely used medium now, the last generation of masters are all but gone.
I was lucky to start work with a decorator who had second generation experience using this material and his work was already a beautiful rarity among decorators, he died in 2003. I was dumbfounded by the fact that while so many people adored the result lime gives, nothing was being done to promote or protect this skill and the type of works it produced.  I did discover the many difficulties surrounding it's use, however it's aesthetic value cannot be denied.
It has been somewhat a crusade with me, sometimes I can be a little over passionate, I realise that for some it is just paint!
For years I was scratching my head trying to think of ways to showcase a skill that I felt needed to be seen in context: within architecture.  I didn't feel comfortable painting samples within a classic picture plain. It was while visiting Rome and being tempted by the fragments of ancient buildings lying around that I has was able to envision decoration as separate from it's structure. That's how I got to this project.
Lime can only really be compared to fresco painting. It has a velvety matte finish to it. The colours are always soft even when they are full of body. It visibly suggests all of it's history, seeming to step out from the past with it's dusty finish!
All I hope for is a little coverage now!!!!
Thank-you again Mary. Hope to hear from you again...